Discover Armadale’s History
Apr 15, 2020


The original inhabitants of the Armadale region were the Nyoongar people.  There are numerous places in and around Armadale that retain Aboriginal names as an acknowledgment of the area’s first inhabitants.

With the arrival of Europeans to Western Australia the Swan River Colony was created in 1829 and the town of Kelmscott was established as an army barrack.  Kelmscott was proclaimed a townsite in 1830, making it one of the oldest towns in the state. The district prospered in the early days as a centre for timber cutting, orchards, dairies, market gardens and brickmaking works.

In the 1860’s the part of the Canning Valley region now known as Roleystone was a haunt of Western Australia’s most famous bushranger, Moondyne Joe.

During the early 1900’s planting of orchards grew at an increasing rate in Roleystone and Karragullen, with property brochures extolling the virtues of the beautiful scenery and fertile valley soils. This was a time of Italian migration into the district.

*Article excerpt / image source – Armadale Regional Visitor Guide 2014/15

Maggie is a recognisable face in Roleystone and surrounding areas within the City of Armadale. A local resident of nearly 40 years, Maggie is exceptionally knowledgeable about the area, and you will love her friendly, approachable nature – nothing is too much trouble. She is passionate about providing her clients with a positive and memorable property journey, working tirelessly to achieve the best possible sale price. Since commencing her real estate career in 2002, Maggie has received industry accolades, including The Professionals’ Chairman’s Award for the greatest number of properties sold by a Professionals’ rookie in 2003/2004, REIWA Number One Office for Listings Sold in 2007/2008 and was nominated for the prestigious REIWA Real Estate Office of Excellence Award in 2017.

You may also like

Roleystone’s Best Kept Secrets – Affinity Cafe

Roleystone’s Best Kept Secrets – Affinity Cafe

Find Affinity Cafe on FacebookAffinity Cafe websiteFor the past 12 years, the Wee family have owned and operated the Roleystone Recreation Centre located in the heart of Roleystone at 8 Wygonda Road. In 2012 the family opened a cruelty free, vegetarian café within the...